The Epic Begins....

Alex and I will be partaking in a 'Women v Cancer' cycle ride - a mere 400km across Cuba. The funds raised will be divided equally between: Breast Cancer Care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.. some money will also be donated to help women fight cancer in Cuba....

So NOW all we need to do is ... get fit ... and raise £3,000 each.... Oh yes, and Alex will be losing weight too :-)

Sunday 1 April 2012

A bike ride with the 'Birthday Girl'

Today would be the first time I would see Alex since we'd signed up for the Cuba Ride and fitting that it was her birthday.. and her twin children's too!!


Seems a long time since I heard that Trudy had had Alex.. well it was - 32 years!!! She was a tiny little scrap - born 8 weeks and 4 days early - funny but there never seemed any doubt she'd survive .. she was a survivor from day one.. with the most amazing, beautiful blue eyes - just like her Mum.


I met Alex at her in-laws house, she very proudly showed me her bike.. I couldn't help but laugh (neither could Alex!) her bike was tiny .. a mini white bike - whereas mine is a much larger white bike!  We got the bikes in the Oxo Cube and headed off to Bowness on Solway - Alex had another new lesson - how to take the front wheel off her bike.  Unfortunately when we took it out of the car the front brake had come out it's holder.. we struggled for ages trying to fix it - but to be honest we hadn't a clue!! As it was flat we decided the rear wheel brakes would be sufficient.. it was a lovely evening and (unlike the last time I did it) there was no wind :-) 

The sun was glinting on the sands and the few remaining puddles when we set off, the sweet scent of the gorse filled the air and overhead flocks of Barnacle Geese flew..  although Alex thought there call was my phone ringing!!


For her birthday I bought her a Buff ..  to stop her swallowing quite so many flies!!  We decided it was one Trudy would have approved of!! Trudy always amused our lecturer when we were doing our Garden Design course as she would be completely colour co-ordinated (even down to her secateurs!) and often wore pink - and/or animal prints!!


We had a lovely ride.. chattering as we went - it was nice to discuss Cuba and our planned events and training..


Alex is really working hard at her cycling and from going from nothing at all she's now happily cycling 15 miles (or was it more???).. I must get my map and string out - my Cyclemeter App stated 14.85 miles but one of the books I have says the route is 18 miles!!! We opted to believe the 15 - whatever it was a lovely ride.. and I look forward to more together in the future :-)



1 comment:

  1. What a fab end to a wobbly day lol, really enjoyed it and thankyou for my buff I LOVE IT!! It was nice to spend time together...I knew I was 8 weeks early but didnt realise I was 8 weeks and 4 days....wow...I was lucky!! Time to make the most of it :-)) xx

    ReplyDelete