The Epic Begins....

Alex and I will be partaking in a 'Women v Cancer' cycle ride - a mere 400km across Cuba. The funds raised will be divided equally between: Breast Cancer Care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.. some money will also be donated to help women fight cancer in Cuba....

So NOW all we need to do is ... get fit ... and raise £3,000 each.... Oh yes, and Alex will be losing weight too :-)

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Poorly knee... oh dear me!!

17 years ago... in one silly moment - in a moment of 'fun and frivolity'.. oh OK - alchol was involved, I did something REALLY stupid that I'm still paying the price for!!

I was at a party in a pub in Nether Wasdale following a Lake District Show  - we all got talking and about the day.. the fell race... the Cumberland Wrestling .. and wasn't it unfair that only men did it!!  Egged on by several male friends (??!!!) Megan and I decided to give it a go.. Megan is quite petite and when I went to fall on her I decided in a split second I might hurt her and twisted to one side - well my knee did .. but my foot didn't!! My knee swelled up like a balloon and I was carried to hospital the next day ... after spending a very long night in a tent listening to a sheep eating grass - very loudly!! I had torn my cruciate ligament and ripped the cartillage.. it took months to get an appointment for an operation ... and then it didn't work properly and I had to have a further one .. The result still wasn't brilliant (could never ski or anything that involved twisting or high impact).. and every step I take I can feel and have to think about.. but it was something I learnt to live with and adapt to. 

That apparently is half my problem - I have adapted to the injury by using the outer muscle in my thigh and the inner muscle is very weak.. so my knee gave in a couple of weeks ago at the bike maintenance course..

The outcome was that I had over 2 weeks of not doing anything and have been totally frustrated!! I had hoped to get out walking and cycling over Easter, the weather was great for it too.. but I couldn't do anything - still gave me the opportunity to make curtains for my daughter's new house!!

On my return I went to see Lyndsey Regan-Anderson at Atlas Physiotherapy .. she also teaches at DW Fitness and has been helping me organising events for my fund raising - I also go to her Pilates classes.  So she assessed my knee and told me that I can only go to the gym alternate nights and do 30 mins on a fixed bike with no resistance.. and gave me some very simple exercises to improve my flexibility - she also strapped my knee cap over a bit to see if it helped .. it did :-)

So I was totally flat and frustrated when I left - I know it's not until next year that I really need to train properly.. but I was getting reasonably fit and loved being out on my bike and doing more and more... now I can't do anything!! Still I guess I just have to put my head down and get on with it and concentrate on the fund raising and my event on 5th May!!

I did go on the bike last night and did 12.5km (in half an hour) - I was a bit nervous at first .. but was alot more confident by the end ... and my knee seemed to be more flexible! 

Lyndsey has said I can go to Pilates - got one booked for thursday.. going to see if I can get in tomorrow night.. and will definately be back on the bike tomorrow too - even if it is just in the gym!!

No comments:

Post a Comment