The Epic Begins....

Alex and I will be partaking in a 'Women v Cancer' cycle ride - a mere 400km across Cuba. The funds raised will be divided equally between: Breast Cancer Care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.. some money will also be donated to help women fight cancer in Cuba....

So NOW all we need to do is ... get fit ... and raise £3,000 each.... Oh yes, and Alex will be losing weight too :-)

Wednesday 28 March 2012

23 km and 300 steps later.........


Me very pleased with myself an hour down and 13.8km

Ok so I planned to go out tonight and I planned to choose a different route too...the map sort of made sense...but I still headed off without a clue where I was going.  I rode out through Bearpark and onto the Lanchester Cycling route.  At first after a lovely breezy downhill section I came to a fairly steep incline and was worried I had made a bad desicion.  My legs were aching and my body was just telling me to turn round for home...but I was determined not to listen and to continue because I am doing this for so many good reasons and I am not going to give in!  Another cyclist breezed past me and really put me to shame, but to be honest thats not going to deter me either because I know I will be on par with her one day, and one day soon!



Lanchester.


I have been having trouble with my gears again, I have to anticipate a hill in advance because if I change to late it doesnt change and I end up struggling up a hill in the wrong gear with my chain making odd noises....and when it does give I nearly fall off. So an important note is to ensure I am thinking about whats coming up in front of my and judging my gear changes well in time before I do myself an injury :-/ Hubby reckons I should easily be doing 15km in an hour but currently I fall short of that and today I managed only 13.8km in an hour so I need to work on my speed and my stamina, although I am sure practise and training will achieve both of those it is something I need to ensure I work on.  I know spinning is good for both of these so I need to look into when and where I can participate in a few classes.





Bike was tired so it had a rest!
I nearly forgot that as I was keeping on pedalling as if my life depended on it to push up my distance before the hour was up that I was heading quite a distance from home and would have to go back the same distance again.  I was also panicking that I would get a puncture or another maintenance problem would occur and I still dont know what to do in either event, so another note is to contact Simon at DCP.co.uk to arrange my maintenance lesson before I end up in hot water in the middle of nowhere!



Beautiful views

Lovely....its just a shame I know I have to go back up to the top over where the houses are!

Langley Park hill.....the photo does NOT do it justice..a very steep incline.

So on my way back I decided I wanted to see the views from the top of Langley Park, I had passed over many times in the car and been in awe at the amazing views.  I decided to come of the track onto the road and head home that way......to be perfectly honest it was a terrible decision!!  I am not yet ready to tackle long steep inclines that go on for a long distance (another reason to build up stamina) steep short hills I can cope with, or long mild ones but not long steep ones.  I gave it a go and as I was riding I kept thinking about how pleased I would be if I achieved it and the euphoria I would feel if I did it.......but alas my gears were as low as I could go and I was still struggling, I was extremely slow, I think a snail may have beaten me!  At this point since I was also on the road I decided for the safety of myself and other road users I had to dismount and push the bike up on the pavement!  Further up the hill I gave it another go....I was ok....but out of the corner of my eye I saw some steep steps...straight up the side of the hill it looked like the better option...not sure if I was right or wrong lol as I had to carry my bike on my shoulder.....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.........90,91,92......200....who knows what the real amount was through my puffing and panting I lost all sense of my counting I would estimate in the region of 300 steps for the sake of arguments..I know someone will know the real number!  Alas at the top the views were as spectacular as always and even though I wish I had been able to ride to the top (one day I will!!) but for now the fact I had carried my bike to the top was an achievement too since all I wanted to do was phone hubby to come and get me :-)
The Short cut I chose to take with the bike on my shoulder!  Approx 300 steps, I was counting but lost count as I was puffing and panting, lol.


The view from the top was worth it once I had my breath back!
What a view!

An even better view...The Pub :-)

Did I mention there was a pub at the top of the hill??  Haha it did keep me going, but I didnt go in...I decided I would head home to my lovely hubby and kids to enjoy a nice BBQ and a guilt free drink or two :-)  There has to be some bonus to my training lol :-)  Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment