The Epic Begins....

Alex and I will be partaking in a 'Women v Cancer' cycle ride - a mere 400km across Cuba. The funds raised will be divided equally between: Breast Cancer Care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.. some money will also be donated to help women fight cancer in Cuba....

So NOW all we need to do is ... get fit ... and raise £3,000 each.... Oh yes, and Alex will be losing weight too :-)

Sunday 25 March 2012

A brilliant Spring day cycle :-)

So today was the day that Holly's replacement (The Oxo Cube) was to be tried out for it's compatibility with my bike...
The 'Oxo Cube'... so called because of it's colour, shape and the fact it's registration ends 'OXU'

... and the result was brilliant - so easy :-) can fit two bikes securely inside easily by removing the front wheel and fitting it into a bar on the floor. Once I learnt how to do it it took no time!! I'm SO pleased with my Skoda Roomster  - I love the way it drives and everything .. comfortable, roomy and it's got power (1.6 turbo diesel).. Sadly (cos Holly was special to me as my mother used to have a one years ago.. and it was pretty stylish) I have to say I MUCH prefer The Oxo Cube :-)

'Loadsaroom...'


Anyway today I had company for my bike ride as we had no electricity from 9am to 5pm - odd day to arrange an organised switch off by the utility company... but didn't worry me.  Guy however, couldn't watch the Grand Prix and so came with me.. hence some photos of me on a bike - may come handy in the future for the next update in the Cumberland News!!

We didn't get of to the best of starts however, we parked up at Wetheral and I discovered in my rush to get away (cos Guy was hovering and I was faffing) .. I forgot my shoes!! The only thing I had with me were my slip on clogs and my heavy leather walking boots... oh dear - never mind a quick trip back to Tesco's in Carlisle provided me with a cheap (extremely white) pair of trainers! Discovered they're not the best on pedals with cleats on them.. not very thick soles - so not able to stand up much!

Note - shiny white trainers!!!
Anyway we got going... only after a short while I discovered I'd left my iPhone (with tracker) and my purse behind in the car!!! Doh!! Think it was the confusion of having someone with me and trying to work out the new fixings in the car for the bikes... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!
The ride we did was a figure of eight starting at Wetheral and heading south along the Eden Valley to Great Corby, Cumwhiton, Armathwaite, Kirkoswald, Lazonby back to Armathwaite and finally Wetheral. The route was 28 miles of undulating countryside with three steep hills that took a bit of an effort on (dare I say) a suprisingly hot Spring day.  The weather was fantastic and the views tremendous.. I love the Eden Valley and hope to live there one day...
Looking down over the River Eden - above Armathwaite

The 'big' mistake of the day was to stop for food at The Fox & Pheasant in Armathwaite.. not the food - it was lovely .. had a wonderful smoked salmon and prawn salad with granary freshly baked bread .. but made the next few miles hard work!! Particularly the long hill as you leave the pub .. felt like I had a lump of lead in my stomach :-(  normally I'd either take something with me or get something at the end.. I won't be repeating that again!!

Lovely route though .. very scenic and well worth doing - will definately be doing it again - but without the food stop!! Good for a drink though.. two more pubs in Kirkoswald and one in Lazonby.. and several in Wetheral and also one in Great Corby... could be a 'pub crawl' ride!!! Ooops nearly forgot - there's one in Cumwhiton too!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment