The Epic Begins....

Alex and I will be partaking in a 'Women v Cancer' cycle ride - a mere 400km across Cuba. The funds raised will be divided equally between: Breast Cancer Care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.. some money will also be donated to help women fight cancer in Cuba....

So NOW all we need to do is ... get fit ... and raise £3,000 each.... Oh yes, and Alex will be losing weight too :-)

Thursday 8 March 2012

Too much to tell ... :-)

So where do I begin - so much seems to have happened since I first wrote!!

I guess the first thing was to do with my car... after my trip out on saturday and my fight with the getting the car in and out of the boot I decided I couldn't continue that way and was going to look for something more suitable. If I had to continue with my lovely little Fiat 500 convertible I was either going to have to spend a fortune on towbar and rack.. or just accept defeat and gets something that would save me time and hassle. 

As luck would have it I walked through Carlisle town centre on Sunday and saw some cars on display - I had a quick look whilst passing and stopped for a better look.  They were Skoda's but I remember hearing lots of good reports about them and was surprisingly pleased how 'good' they appeared and how spacious and flexible the boot was.  I'd previously looked at a Fiat Quobo and although it drove well and would have served the purpose it looked like a van.. if the deal had been right I may well have gone along with it, but would have felt that I was driving a van!!  The Roomster had more the appearance of a car with a boxy rear that could be used either for passengers of fitted with a bike rack to store bikes inside - easily I might add!! I had a chat about them to Sean & Debbie .. very helpful.  The next day I test drove one.. ummed and ahhed about which one to have and chose a 1.6tdi Roomster Plus, complete with heated seats - will be wonderful after a cycle!! I told them all about my bike trip and managed to persuade them to contibute to the bike rack that fits in the rear of the car.  Today I went to select the number plate etc and they said they might be interested in sponsoring me!!!

On the media side - CFM gave us a good mention on the radio .. although I wasn't aware of it and didn't hear it - quite a few other people did though - including Telfords Garage (where I'm getting my car from)... all good publicity.
Anne Pickles of the Cumberland News called me - I'd emailed her earlier to tell her about the trip .. she was very interested and is going to do a feature on the trip in a supplement to the Cumberland News on 23rd March (specifically aimed at women).  She wanted Alex's number and photos of us both.. on a roll now - bit of a snowball effect...

DW Fitness have contacted their instructors for help putting on classes for me and will be sending me a programme of events for review shortly.

The 'gig' at Wetheral is now arranged - band Northern Crisis www.northerncrisis.co.uk hall and bar www.bars2u.net all booked.. will need to sort more out on my return - but nice to have a date sorted ... 5th May (Bank Holiday weekend) - hope not too many people away then!!

So that's it for this week... going to London tomorrow - it's my birthday and I'm catching up with an old friend that Trudy and I used to do mad things with when we were young!! Should be fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment