The Epic Begins....

Alex and I will be partaking in a 'Women v Cancer' cycle ride - a mere 400km across Cuba. The funds raised will be divided equally between: Breast Cancer Care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.. some money will also be donated to help women fight cancer in Cuba....

So NOW all we need to do is ... get fit ... and raise £3,000 each.... Oh yes, and Alex will be losing weight too :-)

Thursday 16 February 2012

... and what have I agreed to???!!

What have I agreed to ... and how did it all happen??? Simple really I was browsing Facebook and Alex's post came up debating whether she should do the trip or not... I thought it sounded incredibly exciting and offered to go with her - fortunately she jumped at my offer.. The rest as they say is history.. we both signed up and then spent a long weekend waiting to see if we'd been accepted - by Monday afternoon I'd had enough and rang them .. to find the answer was 'yes'!!! It was an incredible feeling of excitement I had as I sent Alex a message to say we were going.. the journey had begun!

As Alex has said she also has to lose weight... which I know she can do - and with the trip to aim for there's a huge incentive.  I too have lost weight (4 stones in total) and feel so much better for it and took cycling up last year.. and joined the gym this year and now am a bit of an addict!!! I go to Spinning, Bodycombat, Bodypump, Pilates, Power Yoga, Swimming... oh yes and I like nothing better than to go hill walking!!  Oh and I'm also attempting to learn how to kayak without drowning myself!!

So where you might wonder did this new lease of life come from... well it's easy really within 6 weeks of each other Trudy and my mother died - it was a very tough year or so personally, I was also project managing a multi million pound scheme of work... So you could say it was a pretty stressful time - hence my excuse for piling the weight on... eating as and when I could (too much and not the right things - always had a sweet tooth!!) all washed down with too many glasses of wine!!  So after the grieving receded I started to think about me and my life and decided to take myself in hand - after all I owed it to myself (and to Trudy and my mother's memory) to live life to the full and do as much as I possibly can whilst I am able....

It'll be wonderful to go with Alex - make it all the more 'special' .. our ride for Trudy. Not so sure Trudy would have come with us though if she was still here... our bikes won't have motors on them!!!

So let the adventure commence - I'm ready for it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment