The Epic Begins....

Alex and I will be partaking in a 'Women v Cancer' cycle ride - a mere 400km across Cuba. The funds raised will be divided equally between: Breast Cancer Care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.. some money will also be donated to help women fight cancer in Cuba....

So NOW all we need to do is ... get fit ... and raise £3,000 each.... Oh yes, and Alex will be losing weight too :-)

Friday 17 February 2012

First bike ride of the year!!!

Well I managed (again courtesy of Youtube) to get the wheels back on.. blow the tyres up and get dressed to go out on my bike, opened the door and joy of joys - the mist was down and it was drizzling!! Still after all that effort I thought I should do something.. so did the short loop (which starts with a steep, long hill climb!!).. managed it though and despite the weather, and forgetting my gloves (doh!) enjoyed it!! Only did 8 miles in 50 mins.. but good to be outdoors again - Spinning is fine, but you just can't beat fresh air and scenery!!

After that I was ready for a shower.. but decided to head to DW Fitness and spent a happy hour or so in the Jacuzzi and Steam Room - done wonders my cold .. I can breathe again!!

Also found a book of circular bike rides in Cumbria that I'd bought - now I can use it!! They're all about 30 miles some are purely road and others go off track a bit.. so I think I've found myself a challenge...

I've decided that it would be a good idea to do one of the long distance rides to get in practice for the trip!! Now just need to persuade Alex!!! I've discovered one that can be done over 2 days called 'Cumbria Way Cycle Route' - it's 72 miles in total, starts in Coniston and ends in Carlisle.. good one to start on and we could possibly raise some money too!!!

So Alex what do you think?? Should we do it one weekend this Summer?? Then after that we can do 'Hadrian's Cycleway' - 174 miles .. in 3 days next year???  Followed by 'The Cumbria Cycle Way' - 260 miles... might take us a bit longer than 3 days though!!! Or am I getting carried away?????

1 comment: