The Epic Begins....

Alex and I will be partaking in a 'Women v Cancer' cycle ride - a mere 400km across Cuba. The funds raised will be divided equally between: Breast Cancer Care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.. some money will also be donated to help women fight cancer in Cuba....

So NOW all we need to do is ... get fit ... and raise £3,000 each.... Oh yes, and Alex will be losing weight too :-)

Friday 17 February 2012

It fits... 'have wheels - CAN travel'


So now I can take my bike anywhere and train... so pleased!!
The problem started because I bought a new car (Fiat 500C) with the money my Mam left me... and ordered it before I lost weight.. before I got interested in cycling (or kayaking!!).. so when it arrived I loved it - a convertible to drive around the countryside in and feel the wind blowing in my hair..  Only I was soon to discover that because it was a convertible I couldn't get any roof rack or boot rack to fit!! I tried to take wheels off and put it in the boot.. no joy - just wouldn't fit through boot door!! 

So after asking everyone I could think of if they knew of a way to get transport my bike I gave up and accepted I'd content myself with cycling round where I live ... Not that that is a bad thing.. there's some fantastic rides around and the roads are empty.. plus a lot of hills, woodland trails etc - I even managed to cycle to Kielder Reservoir from the house via the forest trail and then back by the roads (about 45 miles) .. fantastic!! 

Then one day I was driving in Carlisle, stopped at traffic lights... and saw the solution - a bike carrier fitted on a towbar!!  I left it over the Winter but then since signing up for Cuba I thought about it more and more - something had to be done ... I want to cycle in the Lakes - or go over and cycle with Alex ... or just go anywhere and cycle!!  So today I went online.. found ones I thought would work - rang the garage...only to be told it would be £500 to fit a towbar!!! I probably could have shopped around but by the time I bought the carrier I'd be hitting almost £750 .. money that could be put to better use!!! 

So I started thinking about putting the bike in the car again... and it suddenly dawned on me that I'd bought new pedals to go with the cleats on my bike shoes.. they were smaller than the original pedals!!! Now I was inspired... but how to take the wheels off (haven't done it very often lately!!) - Youtube then... answer found!!  Tyres off.. tried fitting in front of car first (scared of tearing leather so had to be very careful).. not a chance!!  Boot next - and 'YESSS' .. as you can see by the photos - it's in!!! Not the easiest of manoevres .. but I'm sure it'll get easier with practice!! Now I need to find a bag to put it in (and the wheels) in.. must be a lot cheaper than £750 though!!!

If only we had sponsors we could save ourselves a fortune.. there'll be all sorts of things we want - must find a way to do this!!!

So now .. I've to buy a bag... get the bike out of the car... reassemble it... and if I've any energy left (as I'm still not over this cold!!).. go for a bike ride!  Oh yes and wash the car!!! Although I think that may have to wait till tomorrow...



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Finding a sponsor is definitely a must with the list of things I need too. Well Done on the challenge of fitting your bike in though and saving a few pennies ;-) x

    ReplyDelete