The Epic Begins....

Alex and I will be partaking in a 'Women v Cancer' cycle ride - a mere 400km across Cuba. The funds raised will be divided equally between: Breast Cancer Care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.. some money will also be donated to help women fight cancer in Cuba....

So NOW all we need to do is ... get fit ... and raise £3,000 each.... Oh yes, and Alex will be losing weight too :-)

Sunday 19 February 2012

Kielder Circuit.. 25.87 miles (to be precise!!)






What a glorious morning I woke up to... but frosty too - had to get out for a bike ride.. especially now I can put it in the car!!
Kielder was the challenge.. it's about 20 miles away - but such stunning scenery and so quiet and peaceful.
I've done it once before, but on my old bike and about 1.5 stones heavier.. I wanted to see how I'd manage it now.. after all my visits to the gym!!
First task was the bike - assembling and reassembling it.. not too bad - think I'll become a wizard at it after a few more goes!
The drive to Kielder was stunning, I parked at the Castle (£4 a day - or £1.50 an hour... and they were the only options!!).  This time I decided to go the sunny side as I was a bit chilly.. soon warmed up though!  The first 8 miles were easy - really pleased with my efforts.. next 4 were a bit harder - but still fine.. and then it began to get harder - really had to push myself the next 9 miles.. last 5 not too bad!!  Now I'm not sure if it was because going to the gym is good for you, but it doesn't give you stamina, or I'd not got enough food with me for energy, or the mud and the ice on the trail for the last 14 miles (much harder going)!!  But whatever it was it was harder than I'd expected.. the chain also came off my bike - managed to put it on but I couldn't get it into top gear - think it'll need to go to BikeSeven for a visit! When I remember they were getting a bit 'crunchy' at the back end of last year.. guess it just needs spruced up for Spring!!
Great day out though - looking forward to doing it with Alex sometime :-)

Statistics: 3 hours 33 mins (not counting 2 breaks); 1610 ascent and descent; ave speed 7.26 mph; calories 1166

Will sleep tonight... with the 'feel good' factor :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment