The Epic Begins....

Alex and I will be partaking in a 'Women v Cancer' cycle ride - a mere 400km across Cuba. The funds raised will be divided equally between: Breast Cancer Care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.. some money will also be donated to help women fight cancer in Cuba....

So NOW all we need to do is ... get fit ... and raise £3,000 each.... Oh yes, and Alex will be losing weight too :-)

Wednesday 15 February 2012

What have I let myself in for :-o......

Well as the earlier post has described I am currently on my mission to lose a fair amount of weight, well 5 stone to be exact! Anyway after losing my first 11lbs I thought it would be a good idea to make a commitment to myself to be healthier and raise money for a good cause (well 3 actually) and also in the memory of my mum who passed away just under 2 years ago.

I am good at saying I will do things but not very good at following things through, I am brilliant with ideas but never seem to bring them to fruitation. This time is going to be different for many reasons, the first is that this time I am not going to let myself down and I am going to achieve this, for my mums memory, to raise money for charity and for me. Secondly after dragging my very supportive godmother into the biggest adventure of my (our) life, I am not going to let her down either :-).

Ok so after signing my life away and recieving all of the information, starting to get a few sponsors and recieving the go ahead from the doctor for my training, I decided it was a good idea to dig out my bike from under the kids pile of outdoor toys and dust it down for its first outing in a very long time :-s.

I was raring to go after pumping my own tyres up which I was really proud of! However, after 1 minute and 12 secs into my ride (puffing and panting) I changed gear and my chain fell off :-s. So tail between legs I pushed the bike home to my other half in a bad mood.......

Well off I went again and all I could hear was shh shh shh coming from my back wheel with every rotation so I came to the conclusion my back wheel is bent also and another realisation I made while going downhill VERY fast was that my front and back brakes are broken :-s. I only managed 0.11km without stopping according to my gps...I think however somehow that may be slightly wrong and in actual fact it was 1.589km according to geodistance.com!! OK so its nowhere near the 100km I am going to be aiming to achieve (well multiplied by 4 but spread over 5 days) but its a start.......... I think my bike is past its best so with my birthday coming I have managed to convince hubby I need a new one, well actually he offered since its one of the only tools I am going to need!

So that was my first effort into my training, the epic adventure will be some acheivement when I look back at this first blog!!

1 comment:

  1. Well done Alex - I'm full of cold so had to cancel my Spinning class tonight :-(
    With a bit of luck I'll get my bike out and get out and about this weekend..

    ReplyDelete